Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Stress food

Working in a busy veterinary hospital like I do, the days can get a bit.......well.........whooshy. By that I mean, you look up and it's 9:00 a.m. then you look again and it's 4 freakin :30. WHOOSH!! The hours in between that slight whirring sound in your head seem to fly by like maybe at some point you just took a little mental health nap and forgot to wakey wakey. Let me just tell you that forgetting is never a really good idea in the medical field. I would recommend avoiding it.

It is a constant battle for me to remember every little thread that needs to be followed up on. I have taken to continuously writing myself little notes, otherwise......yeah.......gone. When you work for a doctor and he says, "Nancy....blah blah blah blah, and then remind me to blah blah blah.....then e-mail......blah blah....and fill in the rest of the pertinent info before you send it", he's done with it. From that moment on whatever the list of tasks has become yours to chart, follow up on, download and submit for analysis. It's usually best to stop trying to figure out why the chemistry analyzer has decided not to print out the results the doctor is waiting for, and take a moment to write it down, otherwise...........you guessed it.....gone.

To say that I don't forget things would be ever so slightly inaccurate. I forget the stupid shit....the little shit. I forget to do the things that I do a thousand times in a row, then forget to do once. OK....so maybe twice. My point here is that in the medical field, you can rest assured that the little thing you've done a gazillion times and have suddenly missed WILL BE FOUND AND CALLED TO YOUR ATTENTION!!!!! I am convinced that the world would fail to spin on it's axis properly and the moon would fall from orbit if I were to ever in my fucking life manage to do something stupid without witnesses.

I have found the answer to this job related stress. The thing that makes it all bearable some days. The thing that gets myself and Trish, the office manager, through those long brutal shifts full of crisis and emergencies and attempting not to forget something crucial. It's french fries people........hot, crispy, steamy, salty, french fries. Is it on my Goddamned diet?......nope. Do I care?........nope. When we can slip away and unrepentantly nosh on fries......it's a good goddamned day. Most often we are grabbing a bite on the fly ( always carry high quality snacks when working in the veterinary field. You may break for lunch anytime between "whenever" and "never") To actually leave the office and eat french fries without interruption, without ringing phones, and without simultaneously typing with your free hand is simply too super fabulous for words.

So there you have it people.........My name is surgical assistant and I eat fries.

and I try not to forget shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment