I promised you the story of Willow's foray into the twilight zone so here we go: The fact of the matter is that Willie slipped through a temporal anomaly that ushered her in to a parallel universe completely populated by giant talking bunnies who worship dim-witted white dogs as Gods and...............hold on a minute, let me turn off the television.
What was I saying?
Iddy was in full "Peanut" mode that morning. She is completely intimidated by a 6 pound Chorkie that could easily, albeit not intentionally, get flushed down my toilet if it were flushing properly. I will never understand the methods Peanut uses to keep Iddy so utterly subjugated. She was hanging back during our walk, so as not to be too close to Peanut who tends to scold her for not staying with the pack.
One glance back over my shoulder and she was there, the next glance moments later, she was gone. I didn't panic immediately because this is quite typical of our Willie... aka Wills.... aka Willow.... aka Iddy ......aka widdie-woo......(don't judge!...what do you call your dog?!...be honest now!) It was not until I got back to my car and still saw no sign of her that I began to worry.....but just a little. Williie always pops up out of a ditch or wherever, once she hears the car engine. Two laps around the ponds and no Iddy. It's now that I panic.
I make what seems to be a gazillion trips around the ponds and search the ditch where I had last seen her no less than 7 times. I'm crying, worried, angry, and very aware that my plans for the day are fucked beyond repair. I call for help. Hilary joins the search. Scott and Matt begin searching the woods near the ditch. Hilary calls Animal Control. I call Trish at the clinic. Let me just say here and now that if your dog is ever missing, Trish is the one to call. She has some sort of mega potent doggie finding mojo workin'
It's at this point that the tears and panic subside and I'm beginning to think more clearly. "She had to have gone in the woods" "Where would these woods empty out if you were a dim witted white dog with delusions of God hood in bunny land? (ok...so maybe not completely clearly) I begin driving up and down the road off the property. Hilary is talking to neighboring farmers. I get on the phone to Trish. Here's where the mojo comes in.
Trish is at the reception desk with a client who happens to live in the vicinity of the ponds when my call arrives. Client leaves and Trish hurriedly sends one of the other staffers out to her car with my cell phone number.....just in case she sees Will. client drives home but decides to take a different route that day....shes in no hurry to begin the days chores. Client sees a white dog run between some houses and out to the road. She stops her car and Willie rushes to her and jumps in. Client reaches in her pocket for the scrap of paper with my number on it and calls.
I begin blubbering so loudly that Hilary takes the phone to arrange a meeting place. I get my happy, slightly freakish, bundle of joyfulness dog back and am eternally grateful that the heavens seemed to have orchestrated such an elegant rescue. she may not be perfect....she has issues...medical and otherwise....she eats cat tootsies out of the litter box and then barfs them up on my carpet......she licks my shoes and my bed pillows...and was no help at all when the toilet overflowed......but shes my Willie....and I love her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment